Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Milestones

Twenty years ago today, we became first time homeowners (talk about your fixer-upper). But, I love this old house. Always have. I've joked to my family that when I die, they can bury me in the backyard.

We had a snow day today; no school. So, I've had the time to be a little nostalgic. These sentimental feelings actually started on Saturday when the appliance delivery guys rolled our old 25 1/2 year old frig out the door to make room for the new one. I was 23 years old when the old one was purchased new. That is more than one-half-of-my-life ago. I tried hard not to cry over an old refrigerator. I was fairly successful.

When we bought this house, Jay was 6 years old; Ashley was 4. Ethan wasn't born until 4 years later. Twenty years holds more memories than I could count. I think, somewhere along the way, there might have been some really hard and difficult times. But, today, right now, all I can remember are the many, many blessings we've received during the 20 years at 14 North Street.

We've done a lot to the house. Mike says we've bought over 400 gallons of paint since we bought the place. That number is probably low. There is so much more that we'd like to do. Many rooms are in need of a re-do, while there are lots and lots of things we've never even finished. Oh, the joys of owning your own home. How sweet it is and you know, it is true........there's no place like home!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cherdecor said...

Congratulations on twenty years in that wonderful old house! You certainly have fixed it up and made it a comfortable home. 400 gallons of paint made me smile. With that much paint on the walls, it couldn't possible fall down! Just kidding!

It sounds like my house. I am getting ready to paint my living room for the third time. I cannot seem to find just the right color. Maybe we are related!

We are to be getting snow tomorrow night. Right now the sun is shining and the wind is blowing. I am trying to decide whether to go for a walk, clean the yard, or bake applesauce cookies. Decisions, Decisions!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

Ha!Ha! Some of that paint went on the outside, too! Mike has painted the outside 4 times. He says HE is not doing it again. He'll pay someone else to do it. Fine with me.....he's earned it. I've almost killed him working on this house....literally!

I take a long time deciding on what to do a room in. It's all about "color" with me. I have to choose my color-scheme first, then it seems to come together much faster. But, once I'm satisfied with something, though, I leave it that way for several years.....because I LIKE it. I didn't change the dining room for 15 years. I just repainted woodwork and stuff when necessary. I loved what I had put in it the first time and was afraid that I wouldn't like anything else as well. So, I left it alone. Do you konw how I chose my new color-scheme? I found a silk wreath that I just loved the combo of colors in. Took it to the home decorating place, to the same place and lady that mixed the exterior color on the house, and showed it to her. She found exactly what I was looking for! It's perfect for me.....I love it! So.....there is nothing wrong with allowing time to find exactly what you're looking for. You'll find it.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Cherdecor said...

I would say that the wreath was your inspiration piece.

When we moved here, I put a striped beige paint on one end of the living room. I really really like it. The problem is I had a white sofa against a white wall. Well, that didn't work, but I needed the wall behind the sofa to match the stripes.

I did my best to choose a beige that looked close to the stripe. Now during the night, it looks fine but during the day, it looks pink! UGH!

Rhoda from Southern Hospitality told me to paint it olive green. She said that Laura Ashley has a #5 that would look good. I guess it will look okay looking into the RED dining room! Wish me luck!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

Go for it! I think it sounds cool! Maybe paint the stripes nearest the dining room first, allow them to dry, then look at them from every angle. ?? Can't wait to see the results!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home