Saturday, November 24, 2007

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.........

Today was the first time that Mike and I tackled the Christmas decorations by ourselves. We only have our youngest son still living at home and he went to a friend's house to stay overnight. I usually love to decorate for any holiday but it gets harder and harder as the kids leave one by one.

I decorate the whole downstairs. I have a lot of stuff. We have a huge artificial tree for our big living room. One that I just HAD to have 7 years ago. Bless my husband's heart, he put it together all by himself today while I got other things out. It took him 2 whole hours to assemble that thing but it looks beautiful. It was truly an act of love on his part because he really doesn't care one way or the other about decorating. But, he knows how much I love my Christmas stuff. He, also, knows how much I miss our kids. He does, too, but deals with it differently than I do.

We're kind of like "empty-nesters" here this evening. We decorated some, met our daughter and her husband for dinner, shopped a little, etc. Maybe being a couple of "homesteaders" isn't so bad after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am finally getting caught up on my blog reading. I am looking forward to seeing all your Christmas decorations on the Christmas Tour. Did you get everything up this past weekend?

You probably had today off from school or is that just here in deer hunting land?

Tomorrow Alan took off work so we could help put up Christmas decorations at church. That is always a fun time. I call it the "hanging of the greens."

Blogger won't let me sign in so I will have to post anonymous but this is Cherdecor.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

Hey, thanks for commenting! I have a reader =) Yes, we had the day off, too. We've had this Monday off for the past 4-5 years......ever since the state of OH counts points on your district's report card and attendance is one of them. Since so many school age boys miss because of deer hunting, they added it to our calendar. That's ok by me, as long as they keep giving us the Wednesday BEFORE Thanksgiving off, too. I think it's only fair to give the "cooks" the day off as well as the hunters. Anyway, I'll take it!

I'm in the process of decorating. I'm right at that stage where I've made a huge mess getting all of this stuff out and haven't gotten my boxes/containers all stashed away yet.

Mike has a yearly check-up at Miami Valley in Dayton at the Sleep/Wake Center. I went with him today. It POURED rain ALL DAY!!

I'll probably put away my fall things at school and let my students put up the Christmas decor. Every year, I teach them the Pilgrim song Grandma taught us when I was in her class. I have the original page from a 1963 Instructor magazine that she gave me when she retired in '80, the same year I started teaching. Some traditions are just SO WORTH passing on.

Have fun tomorrow!!

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home