Saturday, February 02, 2008

A Sad Farewell

My father-in-law passed away on Saturday, January 19. After his final dialysis on January 7, we were told he would probably live 3 days to 3 weeks. It was 12 days.

Don had been on dialysis for 6 years. He had a major heart attack 4 years ago, followed by several mini-strokes. He was such a physically strong man, very athletic. Yet, he had smoked cigarettes all of his adult life.

In 1994, doctors found an abdominal aortic aneurysm. This was major surgery but he went through it with flying colors. The aneurysm had damaged one of his kidneys, which was how they found the problem to start with. Four years later, they found another AAA almost in the exact location as the first one.

I feel quite sure that his being in such good shape to start with is how and why Don lasted as long as he did. His wife took excellent, excellent care of him. She had a long list of every medication he as taking, carried a list of every procedure and the date of each one that he had endured, and took him 25 miles one way to dialysis 3 xs each week for 3 1/2 years. It has been a long and difficult journey for both of them. They would have celebrated their 53rd anniversary on March 26.

This was the first parent either of us have lost; the first grandparent for our children. I was so touched by the strength that our kids expressed to their dad during this time. They surrounded him with their love and compassion. That meant more to him than they will ever know.

Don accepted Christ as his Savior about 2 years ago. We are so thankful for the Lord's wonderful love and mercy.


Blogger Cherdecor said...

I hadn't heard of your father-in-law's health issues over these long many years. Our sympathies go to Mike in the loss of his father. God was so merciful to keep him alive so he could experience the new birth and a home in heaven. Blessings and prayers for all of you as you carry on after this great loss!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home