Monday, November 12, 2007

Shelby's Puppies

I wrote this big announcement about the new puppies 2 months ago and haven't said a word since then. I sooooo enjoyed the puppies. This is the first time in my life that I've actually had a dog that I have planned for them to have a litter. I was completely blown away when she had SEVEN!!! Shelby only weighs 15 lbs. and is about 14-15 inches tall. Not only did she have 7 little darlings, but they were so chubby and healthy.



For the first few weeks, they would nurse, sleep in a pile in a big box, nurse, sleep in a pile, etc. When they were about 4 weeks old and too big and lively for the box, I put them in a kiddie pool until they could climb out of it. Then, we gated them in a small out-of-the-way corner of our kitchen. A vinyl floor covering was key to their location.



Every evening, my husband, mom, son, and I would hold one or two at a time. We played with them as often as we could. My big ol' softy of a husband would actually lay down on the floor and play with them while I cleaned the floor where they had been. It was the cutest thing to put them back into their "pen" and watch them play.



But.........it was not possible to keep 7 puppies in the house any longer and we were getting very attached to them. So, when they were 6 weeks old, I put an ad in the local paper. I had 2 of them sold by word of mouth. The other 4 sold in less than a week. I am sooooo grateful that each of them have gone to really good homes. That was important to me. A young couple (I had had the girl in school a few years back) bought one; the others have all gone to homes with young children or with grandchildren near by.



So far, I know the names of 4 of them, including the one we kept. They are Brutus, Cooper, Buster, and Ethan's baby is Gunnar.



It was a lot of work taking care of them, especially with Mike and I both working everyday. But, I loved every minute of it. Mini-schnauzers have a wonderful disposition, anyway. We now have Shelby and her son, Gunnar. We are all acting like we have a toddler in the house and enjoying it, too! The "Magnificent Seven" was certainly worth the time and trouble.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raising puppies is a lot of fun! Your puppies sound adorable! We used to raise Lhasa Apsos and our children really liked them.

Then Heather wanted a poodle so she bought one from the Amish. She was trying to house break it so she put a bell on the door within its reach. Every time she took it outside to go potty, she would take its paw and hit the bell then open the door to let it out. The silly dog would ring the bell then squat and do its business right on the floor. I don't remember if it ever did learn. Hahahaha!
Cherdecor (I forgot my password)

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home