Tuesday, August 14, 2007

School Daze

The first day of our school year is 1 week from today. Our teacher's in-service is on Monday, Aug. 20. It seems to be earlier every year. I wouldn't mind it at all if it wasn't so blasted hot!
My classroom is on the top floor of the building with no air conditioning. It's horrible! I've been working in my room for the past 2 days trying to get organized.

The heat really makes it hard to get excited about starting a new year, which makes me feel bad. I love seeing my students from last year who stop by to give me a hug on the first day of school. I'm so glad that they do because I've missed them, too! I'm always amazed at how much they grow over the summer!

I have to laugh at myself......every fall, I think the last group I had was the best class ever! But, after a few weeks, I start to feel the same way about my new class. Funny how you gradually adjust to each other and get to know one another better. There are 24 students on my class list. I know that I've had 6 of my new student's older brother/sister. That's the greatest compliment in the world!

Oh, well! We'll make do the best we can; like we do every August when school starts. We'll turn the box fans and ceiling fans on high, fill our water bottles to the brim, and somehow survive each day. Before I know it, it will be Christmas and I'll wonder where time has gone! I think that being 10 years old is the best age ever! My goal is for them to remember something other than the heat on their first day of fifth grade. Maybe some cool treat?

Good-bye, summer!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherdecor said...

It has been 15 days since we have heard from you! Are those kids holding you hostage? How is this year's class doing?

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home