Monday, August 13, 2007

Small Town Fun

The fifth annual Brush Creek All-American Festival went off without a hitch! Everyone seemed to have a great time even though it was 98 degrees in the afternoon.

I didn't get to see most of the outdoor events because of where I was working. I would have liked to have been outside when the medical helicopter arrived. It was the Care Flight from Miami Valley Hosp., Dayton, OH. It's an awesome machine! It is larger than the other 2 that service our area for extreme emergencies. The medical equipment in it is so advanced that it looks like an ER on the inside. There were 3 crew members who were so friendly and very professional. I did get to meet them because they came through the food line.

We live 75+ miles from the trauma centers that the helicopters are stationed at. The other 2 are in Cincinnati and Columbus. I hope to goodness that none of my family or myself ever need for one of them to be called but I'm so thankful that they are available.

An ox and hog were roasted for the festival. Both meats were delicious! I prefer the pork. The few leftovers were auctioned off at the end of the day.

There was a brass band that played marches and patriotic songs. The band was founded in 1900, so it is well known in our area. West Union High School's Steel Drum Band performed, too. There were about 30 kids in this group who played various percussion-style instruments. Steel drum music sounds like what you would hear in the Caribbean, peaceful island-like music with a xylophone-like sound. It is so smooth and easy, I could listen to it all day. I've learned that whenever I am listening to most kinds of music, I need to sit down. I could easily embarress myself.

This festival began back in late 2002 when several members of our community wanted our village to be designated as an "Ohio Bicentennial Community 1803-2003". There was a list of ways small or large communities could do this. In 2003, the festival was called the "Brush Creek Bicenntenial Festival". It was such a success, the name was changed and it has been an event every year since.

I don't know the exact amount of money made this year but I'm sure that the proceeds will benefit our little town. It's a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home