Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Happy Birthday to me!!

Today is my birthday. I'm 48 years old. The phrase "older than dirt" isn't nearly as humorous as it used to be.



No one gets to choose when their birthday is. As a child, I always hated that my birthday was on August 1. I wanted it to be during the school year so I could tell everyone when it was, take cupcakes for my classmates, and invite some of my friends home with me after school. It seemed to bother me that I didn't know anyone else who had a birthday the same day as mine. I never met anyone with the same birthday as mine until I was 24 years old. Instead of being content to have a special day that I didn't have to share with anyone else, I thought that I was some kind of weirdo.



For 5-6 years of my childhood, my parents planned their vacation for the first week in August. I never appreciated the sightseeing of the Pilgrim's Monument at Cape Cod, the Smoky Mountains in TN, or the tour of "My Old Kentucky Home" in KY. I wanted to be home, have a party with a cake, and have 4-5 friends over for a slumber party.

**Note: Since I haven't been anywhere on vacation for 2 years now, I would love to go to any of the above mentioned places.......today!



August 1 reminds me of how fast the summer has gone by and that it's almost over. For 41 of my 48 years, I've gone "back to school" as a student and/or teacher. I'm so keenly aware of all of the things I had planned to do this summer that I haven't done yet. Now I have regret with pressure. Ugh!



Thankfully, as an adult, I've grown-up enough to form a completely different opinion of my own personal holiday. My age does not bother me at all. I'm more astonished at how old everyone else is. I mean, my goodness, my children are ages 15, 24, and 26. Where in the world has time gone? I've been married to the same man for 27 years. On August 21, I'll be starting my 27th year of teaching school. When you look at just those numbers alone, I have to be my age.



It is very rewarding to have 2 kids graduated from college. We have all sacrificed for years (still are) for that to happen. It's a wonderful blessing for both of our older kids to have found Christian spouses, have places of their own, and have good jobs that they like. Thank you, Lord!



So, I'm celebrating today! I'm fixing dinner for my wonderful daughter and son-in-law, husband, and son this evening. I plan to end the day with a ride on the Harley with my hubby. It's a full moon tonight. Everyone should try, at least one time in their life, to ride on a Harley on a warm summer's night with a bright full moon lighting up the countryside. Hmmmm........August 1 is a great day to have a birthday after all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Cherdecor said...

48 years huhhh? Happy happy birthday!

And about that Harley ride in the moonlight. . . no thank you. I tried that one time and talk about the cow jumping over the moon. . . . well, I just about hit the moon that day.! LOL!

Whatcha have'n for dinner? (;

1:20 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

Oh, gosh, Cheryl! I don't know if I really remember you doing that or remember hearing about it but it really scared my dad. He learned a valuabled lesson that day. He never, ever let anyone else ride something without showing them every little thing and/or making them show him that they knew what to do.....like turning it off and/or how to stop it. You were just so very fortunate to not have been seriouly injured.

Dinner? Well, you saw my guest list. Miss Ashley is somewhat of a "persnickety" eater. Oh, course, she is all of 115 lbs. so there's no criticism from me. We are baking potatoes on the grill, grilling steaks, having baked beans, and corn on the cob (or "cob on the corn" as Ashley used to say when she was little). Ashley and Jason are bringing a cake. Last year, my son-in-law baked me a birthday cake and made homemade ice-cream. He's the world greatest son-in-law!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

The word is "valuable" in my last post....sorry.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Cherdecor said...

YUM! Your birthday dinner sounds delish! Hope it was a great evening and hope you enjoy your moonlight ride!

Did you know on your 48th birthday the Minneapolis Bridge collapsed! Have you heard that news yet?

9:10 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

Yes, I did! Isn't that awful?! Those poor people! Didn't it just make your heart sink to your feet when you saw that school bus? What a miracle they all survived! Do you remember Chad Couser from Annapolis, MD that I met on the internet a few years ago? He had the cool Couser webpage. His dad is the only person I know from the Minneapolis area. His name is Bob Couser and he is a neo-natalist (I think I spelled that right) at Children's Hsp. I emailed Chad earlier to tell him we were concerned and to let us know if Dr. Bob and his wife are all right.

We had a great dinner! Mike suggested that I fix mashed potatoes instead of baked because they're Ashley's favorite.....so I did. Later, Mom, Tom, and Nicholas came over for a visit. We all ate cookies and Jason's homemade ice cream. We didn't go for our ride tonight. We didn't want to rush off our good company :)

Birthday's........I believe Chad is next.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Cherdecor said...

I didn't remember about relatives in Minneapolis. Interesting!

Glad you had a great birthday with family!

We have a regular "chat room" going on here! LOL!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home