Saturday, August 04, 2007

That's What Friends Are For

I am blessed to be related to my very best friend in-the-whole-wide-world. Remember the old saying "You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family"? Well, my best friend and I are first cousins. I have no memory of life without her.....thank goodness! We went to the same school together from grades 1 - 12 (there wasn't any Kindergarten available in our little town in 1964). I have thousands of memories I could share but will share them when the time is right.



Joni and I always have a great time together. She can make me laugh like no one else can. I'm not talking about just a giggle; I'm talking about the hyper-ventilating type of laughter. Anyway.......Joni called in the middle of last week to plan a day to spend together this week to celebrate my birthday. She had to work on my actual birthday, so we set our day for Thursday (yesterday).



We rode in her Mustang convertible with the top down in this 95 degree weather. We went to Maysville, KY to shop in the old part of downtown. We ate lunch in a quaint old restaurant that served a tasty luncheon special. There are a couple of very nice furniture stores there so, being that I have so much confidence when we're together, I bought myself a new recliner. She and I must have sat in 20 different chairs. It was so nice to have a reliable, second opinion right there with me!



We, then, drove to Augusta, KY to do a bit of antiquing. There are some very nice shops to browse in. We ate our supper in the old Beehive Tavern, which was founded in 1796. I love those old buildings with their early Americana ( a fancy word for very old) decor! We drove around and found Nick Clooney's home. Nick is a celebrity to Joni and I because he was a newscaster in Cincinnati when we were growing up. The house where Nick, Rosemary, and their other sister grew up is there, too. The Clooney family is Maysville and Augusta's claim to fame.



We crossed the Ohio River on the ferry, Jenny Ann, at about 7:30 p.m. The sun shining on the river was spectacular! Joni thought that it would have gave an extra-special touch to the trip if she had driven her pick-truck instead. Then, we could have brought my new recliner home in it ourselves in the back of it. She wanted to take my picture sitting in the recliner, in the back of the truck, on the ferry, crossing the river. You know, kind of like Granny Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies. We'll just have to keep that in mind when I need a new couch!



Love ya, Jo!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherdecor said...

What a HOOT! I really thought you were going to put that recliner in the convertible, why not? (:

Glad that you and Joni had such a great time together!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home