Monday, April 19, 2010

What A Day!

Well, guess what I have sitting on the dining room table? My youngest child's graduation announcements. The name cards, return address labels, thank-you notes, the 2010 announcements.........all of it. It was delivered to me at my school (thank goodness for thoughtful school secretaries - students or teachers CANNOT survive without them!!!).

It was so bittersweet to open the box. I really cannot describe all of the emotions I felt seeing my sweet boy's full name -Ethan Thomas Matheney- beautifully written on his name cards. It put a huge lump in my throat then........and now. I have feelings of great joy for having the privilege of being his mother and such regret for all of the time that flew by too quickly.

It occurred to me today, that I have had a child in school for 24 years. TWENTY-FOUR YEARS!!!! That is 1 year shy of being exactly 1/2 of my life! Having 2 other grown, adult children has given me first-hand experience at being a different kind of parent. It has its' perks.

I'm putting a great effort into celebrating each milestone with him, like always. I'm keeping the thoughts I have about his last high school events being mine, too. He's ready to move on. So, it's time for a whole new era in both of our lives.

I know that I talk a good talk but while I'm saying all of these logical things, I see my little red-headed, green-eyed toddler every time he comes in the door. I'll let you know when my vision returns to normal.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cherdecor said...

Congratulations to Ethan and to you and Mike for raising three great kids! I am sure that Ethan has high hopes and big dreams. I hope everyone comes true.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thank you so much for the sweet comment! Your kind words mean so much to me. I really appreciate your offer for a visit- maybe someday we can meet! : )
Teaching is so tough- and so political. It is frustrating to feel like we are not valued by our government. Hang in there! I know exactly how you feel.
Thanks again for being such a sweet blog "friend." Our lives are certainly not very interesting or exciting, but I love knowing you are reading! Ha, ha!
Take care!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the tip!! : ) I'll have to check and make sure I can find our sleds. : )

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! Would you send me the URL to Levi's Monday pictures. When my computer crashed a year or so ago, I lost that URL. I would like to see what he looks like now. I keep up on what the older kids look like on Facebook. I am not their friend but I can see their profile pictures. Pretty sneaky, huh?
Cheryl

Email me at cherdecor@verizon.net

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home