Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Out with the Old and In with the New

Yesterday was not only our first day back after Christmas break but it was our first day in our new elementary building. Oh, my goodness! It is a BEAUTIFUL building! This is my 29th year of teaching (Good grief, that sounds ancient!) and I've never taught in a building that was built for elementary students until .......yesterday.

The months prior to this event have been very stressful. We packed and moved WITH STUDENTS at school! I stayed after school many evenings to sort, toss,and pack things. I was determined NOT to take things I didn't need. That wasn't as easy as it sounds. It was hard to leave really good teaching materials that I bought myself and really like. But, the state of Ohio has determined that our children need to learn a certain set of indicators which they are tested on each spring. So, most things that were older than 3-4 years old, I left to be included in the upcoming auction.

We moved the week of Dec. 14-17. Having older students (5th graders), it could have been worse. Many of them were wonderful help for which I am grateful. My husband and son helped me a couple of evenings and I worked 2 days over my vacation to unpack and organize things.

Our rooms are so nice. Our hallway/rooms are accented with a deep, royal blue. All of the hassle and hard work was worth every minute of it to watch the 4-6 grades students enter the hallway yesterday morning. They all looked so happy! I am sure that some of them grew an inch or 2 over the break! Many of them had on new clothes.....gifts from Christmas, no doubt. It sure feels like a whole new year in many more ways than just a number on a calendar.

Hubby and I are on a new diet. Many prayers are needed :) Look out, 2010!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Congrats on the successful move to the new school and good luck with your diet! I need to be on one but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Too much upheaval in my life to even think about trying to stick to a diet.

Stay warm!

Love and hugs,

Diane

1:59 AM  
Blogger Cherdecor said...

Environment has a great impact on students, not to mention teachers. Teaching in pleasant surroundings seems to make the job easier.

Good luck on your diets. It is always easier to diet when everyone in the house diets with you.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Just Terrific said...

Ethan doesn't need to diet, so he has an "emergency plan".......go directly to Mamaw and Papaw's if we get too grouchy at our place. I clued Mamaw in by telling her if Ethan pulls in the drive with his truck and napsack to please let him use the extra bedroom :)

Actually, hubby and I are doing well, so far. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the sweet comment.. yes, I plan on keeping up with my hours. I too agree- you never know what the future holds and it is definitely a type of job security to have those hours. It was so nice to hear from you! : ) Take care and have a great week.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home