Sunday, June 10, 2007

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

I am just 1 month from making my annual posting on this blog. I thought maybe I should start early.

I had a wonderful day today with my mom and daughter! We went to Newport, KY to attend a wedding shower for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law (JL). We met several of the ladies from her family. They were all so very nice. JL and JM received many lovely gifts. The refreshments (an important part of an event, as far as I'm concerned) were simply marvelous! JL's sense of humor and good nature just added to the pleasant atmosphere. It was such a nice party!

As the mother-of-the-groom (MOG......far less stressful than being the MOB!!), I couldn't help but look around and realize that all of these people were now a part of my son's life. I wanted to make such a good impression on them for him.....and for her. I love JL and feel that she is the perfect person for JM. But for days, I've anticipated meeting his "new family and friends". Being that he is my firstborn child, I will tell you that this is not easy!

Certainly, no one could possibly know how important he is to me! I thought I knew what love was all about before I laid eyes on him almost 26 years ago! I soon realized how wrong I had been. I had never felt that kind of love before!! Did you know that hearing his first little "oooh!" made me laugh and cry at the same time? To say that my heart "soars" when he sings doesn't completely describe it at all. There are no words to express what a blessing he has been in my life.

Today, it was so reassuring to feel the deep affection and love that JL's family has for her. They obviously care about her happiness. They are embracing my son with open arms and welcoming him into their loving family circle. Wow, and I thought I was the only one excited about getting a new in-law!!

I can't promise that I still won't be misty-eyed and nostalgic for the next several weeks. Did I mention that I cry watching reruns of the Waltons?? But, thank you, Lord!! Today was a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home