Monday, July 10, 2006

There are many events in my life that stand out very clearly in my mind; events that I call "life-changing". I lost three loved ones, not in the same year, in the month of July when I was young. There were also a few other members of our little community who died in various Julys, so for a few years as a kid I had this fear of July. I had somehow related sudden death to that summer month. It took a long time for me to stop dreading it. I think as I have gotten older and developed more wisdom and understanding about life, in general, the Lord gave me feelings of peace and gratitude for those I grieved so long for. Forty years ago today, my papaw was called home to heaven. I was almost 7 years old and had a 6-day-old baby brother. Life was wonderful but, then, Papaw was gone. There was been very few days in these past 40 years that I have not thought of him. I still miss him.

But, he has not had to be present every day in my life for his strong influence to be all around me. How wonderful to have a grandpa who had such a love for the Lord and preached the Gospel here in the hills of Southern Ohio! Many of my favorite old hymns remind me of Papaw every time I hear them. I named my firstborn son after him. It was the only boy's name I had picked out. I see him in my dad and uncle's mannerisms. I hear him in my son's voice. I hear his sense of humor in my cousin's writings. I am fully aware of his love and compassion for people in myself.

I'm so grateful and very, very thankful for the many blessings in my life because the Lord so chose to make me a granddaughter of a Christian papaw.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cherdecor said...

Terri, I loved your blog today. You are an excellent writer and can express yourself in words. You need to write a book. Chad can publish it for you. Think about it.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home